PET scan results in!

PET scan results in!

Written Nov 5, 2013 9:07pm

Yesterday was PET scan day.  I will admit, I dread it each time!!  I really felt like this would be fine, but if I’m ever wrong, obviously that is a huge life-changer for us, and I know all too well what battling cancer is.I had Kevin, the guy who has done almost all of my scans.  I always feel like I’m seeing an old friend when I see him!  He’s this big Missouri guy with a genuinely kind personality.  He always treats me well and lets me look at the scan at the end.  He has always been optimistic for me, even the first time when we looked at the scan together and it was obvious there was something going on.  I remember he told me that he couldn’t read the scan for me (although, of course he could, he just isn’t supposed to.)  “But”, he said, “if it is cancer, you just stay positive.  It’s amazing how much a positive attitude can help.  You stay positive no matter what the doctors say!”  Then he told me about his dad beating some other type of cancer that was really advanced.  I will always remember his optimism while I was so afraid and in such despair.  What a great guy!Anyway, Kevin was there again, and he remarked how incredible it was that I was doing so well having been diagnosed with stage four breast cancer.  He said, “I can’t wait to look at this scan!”  And I said, “Me too, ’cause it’s going to be awesome!!”The process took much longer than usual because there were some problems with the big machine, and I was also told that due to Obamacare we had to do the PET  and CT scans separately rather than together for some billing reason.  Weird. That made it take longer too. I had to hold completely still for about an hour after I had been sitting in a dark room drinking my huge nasty drink for about two hours!!  My arms were above my head, and my right arm fell asleep and then was just painful for most of the scan.  It was so dead when I was done that I couldn’t feel it at all when I pinched it!  Anyway, I was glad to be done with the scan.

Today I received a phone call from some nurse telling me that my scan was “stable”.  I said, “Stable . .  as in no cancer?”  He said, “Stable means no change from last time.”  I had to clarify with him that my last few scans had been completely clear, and wanted to make sure that’s what he meant.  Finally he just told me that it showed no signs of cancer.  Wish he would have just said that the first time!  ;)

I am just feeling super grateful and relieved!  It really is quite remarkable to be a year and a half in remission after having cancer in many lymph nodes and in my spine and pelvis.  It’s hard to explain how strange it is to allow myself to believe that I may be completely well. I am sincerely grateful to be alive and grateful for my health, and feeling more and more optimistic all the time about having a long and healthy future. Thank you again for all of you who have prayed for me!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>